Thursday, March 21, 2013

Fun with Food

As I get older, I find myself having more and more national pride for Malaysia.  While I have bucketloads for New Zealand (where I moved to when I was one), being Malaysian-Chinese by origin is something that has always been true but nothing I thought hard about.  Now that I have moved out of home, and away from the biggest connection to that part of me (my parents), I can't help but be proud of Malaysia every time I hear people have travelled there and loved it; or love the food yet have never been to the place.  As such, Malaysia deserves more than one post, especially on a blog about food, but today I want to share about a young Malaysian artist/architect.

Hong Yi, aka 'Red', is known as the artist who "likes to paint, but not with a paintbrush". She has created amazing portraits using alternative medias and my favourite is her depiction of 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.  Every day this month, however, she is playing with food

Image source(s): 'Oh I See Red!', http://www.ohiseered.com/ recreated into collage


Brilliant!  My favourite: Hokusai's 'The Great Wave' in nori and rice.

As a fellow Malaysian-Chinese (and architect), who turns out to be the same age aswell, I feel an (unusual?) affinity with this bright young thing.  And now that she is doing what she does with food, I like her even more.



No comments:

Post a Comment